UFE and Fertility
When researching and reviewing alternatives to hysterectomy and myomectomy procedures and the other fibroid treatment options available, it is crucial to understand how different treatments can affect you and your lifestyle(UFE on Fertility).
While UFE is an effective treatment for uterine fibroids, there are no conclusive data or scientific results that establish the impact of UFE on fertility and pregnancy. There has been many cases of full term pregnancy following UFE treatment. The effects that UFE has on the ability to become pregnant, the development of the fetus, and the ability to carry the fetus to term is different for each patient. We individualized each case of uterine fibroid and tailor the best treatment for you on a case by case basis.
It is imperative to tell your doctor if you intend or are considering becoming pregnant after fibroid treatment. Please contact us with any questions you may have.
QUESTIONS FOR YOUR DOCTOR
Questions to get started.
If you decide to make an appointment with your OB-GYN to discuss whether you might be a candidate for UFE, please view the list of questions provided below. The questions will help you to understand the fibroid treatment options available to you better.
Questions about fibroid treatments:
- How do you typically treat symptomatic fibroids? What are the risks and benefits of each of these treatments?
- What are surgical and less invasive options for treating my uterine fibroids?
- What are the advantages, risks, and benefits of each of these treatments?
- Have all of the necessary diagnostic tests been performed? Trans-vaginal ultrasound or MRI? Endometrial biopsy? Blood tests? Why or why not?
- If I want to retain my uterus, what alternatives to hysterectomy are available?
Questions about UFE:
- Do you refer patients for UFE? If not, why?
- How many patients have you referred for UFE and how many have chosen UFE to treat their fibroids?
- Will you refer me to an Interventional Radiologist for a consultation?
Questions for your Interventional Radiologist (IR):
- How would you coordinate my care with my OB-GYN?
- How often is the procedure successful in treating uterine fibroids?
- Are your patients happy with the procedure?
- How often do complications occur? What are typical complications?
- How will I feel during and after the UFE procedure?
- What is the length of the procedure? What is the average recovery time?
- How long should I expect to stay in the hospital?
- How long should I expect to be away from work?
- What kind of follow-up care is typical and who manages it?
- What typically happens to the fibroids after the blood supply is cut off?
- Will the fibroids be expelled vaginally or will the procedure result in my fibroids shrinking?
- Will my fibroids, or the symptoms of my fibroids, come back?
- Will, I still get my periods after having UFE and what will they be like?
- Will my insurance cover UFE?
- Can you help me determine if I am a candidate for UFE and when can we schedule the procedure?